Current Django Books
This page is a complete list of Django web framework published books that are current, deprecated, and outdated. This is a listing of all Django books, not just selected ones that we recommend. By books, we mean complete, published reference works available in print with an ISBN. Links generally lead to Amazon, but are "internationalized", meaning US readers go to amazon.com, UK readers go to amazon.co.uk, and so forth. If there are any books not on this list, please let us know.
Out of these published references, % are for supported versions of Django. Which versions of Django that are supported is specified on the official Django downloads page.
Current (Django 3.0, 3.1 2.2) - books
- Two Scoops of Django 3.x - We introduce readers to various tips, tricks, patterns, code snippets, and techniques that we've picked up over the years.
- Django Crash Course (3.x) - By the authors of Two Scoops of Django, this book is an affordable, guided walkthrough where readers build a real, production-quality Django web application from the ground up.
- Actionable Django: A Django Course for Python Developers (3.1) - This book is a course on Django for Python developers. The better you know Python, the easier it will be to learn Django. Conversely, one of the great things about learning Django is that it will help you improve your Python skills. Through more than 80 exercises and 100s of demos, you will learn to build a fully functional website using Python, Django 3.1, PostgreSQL, Visual Studio Code, GitHub, Amazon S3 (for media storage), SendGrid, and Heroku.
- The Temple of Django Database Performance (3.x) - Fight your way through the Temple of Django Database Performance, discovering ancient secrets that will make your Django app blazing fast -- if you survive!
- Django for Professionals: Production websites with Python & Django 3.1 - Learn how to build production-ready websites with Python & Django, including Docker, payments, permissions, search, environment variables, and more.
- Django for Beginners: Learn web development with Django 3.1 - Django for Beginners takes you from total beginner to confident Django developer.
- Django for APIs: Build web APIs with Python & Django 3.1 - Django for APIs shows how to use modern Django to build 3 different websites. Very useful guide for those using DRF and React!
- Django Design Patterns and Best Practices - Second Edition - Build maintainable websites with elegant Django design patterns and modern best practices.
- Hello Web App 2.2 - Design and build your own custom web app using Python and Django. Tailored for non-programmers, written by a designer.
Outdated (Django 2.1, 2.0 and 1.11 or lower) - books
Listed here for historical reference only. Books in this section are for Django versions no longer receiving security updates. Therefore, we strongly and emphatically recommend not purchasing or using books in this section.
- Building Django 2.0 Web Applications - Published 2018.
- Two Scoops of Django: Best Practices for Django 1.11 - We introduce readers to various tips, tricks, patterns, code snippets, and techniques that we've picked up over the years.
- Build your first website with Python and Django (1.11) Build your first website with Python and Django will teach you step by step, and in easy to understand language, how to design, build and deploy a complete website.
- Django RESTful Web Services (1.11) A basic tutorial for Django REST Framework.
- Beginning Django: Web Application Development and Deployment with Python (1.11) Django tutorial that takes you from the basics of Django all the way through to creating RESTful applications and deployment.
- Test Driven Development with Python (1.11) Learn not just Django and Python, but also excellent testing practices.
- Tango with Django (1.9) - Published 2016.
- Mastering Django Core (1.8) - Published 2015.
- Beginning Django CMS (1.8) - Published 2015.
- Django by Example (1.8) - Published 2015.
- Django Unleashed (1.8) - Published 2015.
- Test-Driven Development with Django (1.8) - Published 2015.
- Learn Django Web Development (1.8, tutorial) - Published 2015.
- Lightweight Django (1.8) - Published 2015.
- High Performance Django (1.8) - Published 2015.
- Django Cookbook (1.8) - Published 2015.
- Django Project Blueprints (1.8) - Published 2015.
- Django: Web Development with Python - published 2016..
- Web Development with Django Cookbook - published 2014
- Django Essentials - Published 2014
- Pro Django, 2nd Edition - Published 2014
- Instant Django Application Development Starter - Published 2013
- Django 1.2 E-Commerce - Published 2010
- Django 1.1 Testing and Debugging - Published 2010
- Beginning Django E-Commerce - Published 2009
- The Definitive Guide to Django - Published 2009 and rewritten as Mastering Django Core (see current books section above).
- Sviluppare applicazioni web con Django - Published 2009 (Italian)
- Learning Website Development with Django - Published 2008
- Python Web Development with Django - Published 2008
- Django 1.0 Template Development - Published 2008
- Practical Django Projects - Published 2008
Outdated Books With Updated Versions
Listed here for historical reference only. Books in this section have newer editions and are not included in the total list of books.
We strongly and emphatically recommend purchasing the updated versions.
- Hello Web App: Intermediate Concepts - Published 2016, replaced by Hello Web App 2.0.
- Hello Web App - Published 2014, replaced by Hello Web App 2.0.
- Two Scoops of Django: Best Practices for Django 1.8 - Published 2015. Replaced by Two Scoops of Django: Best Practices For Django 1.11
- Two Scoops of Django: Best Practices For Django 1.6 - Published 2014. Replaced by Two Scoops of Django: Best Practices For Django 1.11
- Two Scoops of Django: Best Practices For Django 1.5 - Published 2013. Replaced by Two Scoops of Django: Best Practices For Django 1.11.
- Django Design Patterns and Best Practices (1.8) - Published 2015. Replaced by it's second edition